“Real men don’t cook” and “you fight like a girl” are clichés that really don’t have any place in today’s society. The way we fix them is to change our own behavior.
As you grow up, it’s important to know that it’s okay for dudes to be kitchen savvy and not be afraid to show off your cooking skills and culinary knowledge! In fact, some of my good friends make a living from cooking – because they’re chefs.
Yeah, cooking is cool and it’s okay for men to cook sometimes, too. As I see it, there are two sides to why men should know their way around the kitchen:
- Women love a man who can create a good meal for them, not just the other way around.
- Men shouldn’t have to rely on someone else to feed them all the time – and take-out shouldn’t always be the go-to.
Cooking is one way to show that you know your way around the kitchen, but there are other ways, too. I put together a list of ways that you can prove you’re not a neanderthal and to take your culinary and entertaining game to the next level. Here are my top 10 ways:
Ten Ways to Show that Real Men Can Cook
- Make her some breakfast. Every man should have a quality coffee maker, and ideally an espresso machine. Make her a double shot, slice some fresh fruit and plate it with a homemade omelet. None of this is labor intensive or challenging, but looks like a gourmet brunch.
- Women shouldn’t always play the role of the hostess. When you grow up, it’s important you know how to be a good host as well, and part of being a host is having a signature cocktail of your own (should you partake). A signature cocktail is not some atrocious fruity creation with a plastic accessory floating in it. Perfect making a classic cocktail and when at a group gathering blow everyone away with the simple elegance of a properly made manhattan or martini. You sir, are now on par with James Bond.
- Having an “in” at a local restaurant is a sure fire way to impress a date. Suggest the best dishes, have your usual waiter take care of you, and if the chef checks in on you, be able to have a conversation about what was prepared for you that night.
- The first time meeting her parents, bring her dad a handcrafted limited edition bottle of his favorite spirit. He will immediately know you are a classy guy, and will have a better sense that his daughter will be in good hands.
- Sunday sports events do not have to include pizza and chips. Slow roast a pig on a spit, or braise ribs for a more upscale take on game day gastronomy.
- A well-stocked kitchen shows how you eat even when she’s not around. Fresh fruit, vegetables, good cheese, and nothing that is marketed to young kids are the best bets. A jar of olives and a few bar staples shows you are always ready to entertain.
- Even simple things like microwave popcorn seem gourmet with a drizzle of truffle oil and a sprinkle of sea salt. Employing simple upgrades to even the most basic snacks will show her you are always going above and beyond.
- Taking a cooking class together is a fun way to bond and learn a new skill together. Couples that learn new skills together have increased intimacy. Choose a class that is featuring a dish you are already familiar with to show off your talents and also have the opportunity to lean in close while assisting her.
- Invest in a quality grill and learn how to make an amazing burger. Grilling is stereotypically the manliest form of cooking and your lady will enjoy watching you sweat over the grill to make her a fabulous meal. Also, grilling lends itself to many entertaining ideas, and becoming a great host is another trademark of a cultured gentleman. Burgers can go from backyard fare to gourmet with a specialty bun, upscale cheese, fresh toppings, or simply a secret spice.
- Plan a trip or weekend getaway to a winery. Before you go, brush up on a few basic parings or download an app that can help with wine paring combinations. Women will find this incredibly romantic and cultured of you.
Old clichés may no longer hold true, and in fact have actually flipped over. Real men cook – and some of us do it well, too. Start small and work your way up. Pop-tarts in the toaster may be fine for now, but don’t stop there. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes along the way and don’t be afraid to experiment a little!
…and if you run into trouble, I’m not more than a phone call away.