Things are looking pretty bleak for San Francisco (based on the events of San Andreas)!!!
So I finally got to go see Dwayne Johnson’s latest movie, San Andreas. It’s a film about the California’s San Andreas fault and the rumored earthquake that it will eventually unleash. As of late, I have not been keen on going to see every disaster movie as they often seem very similar but, since I am a fan of Dwayne “the Rock” Johnson I figured I should give this a shot.
- Dwayne Johnson: Come on… you know this guy is awesome. He is one of today’s top movie “tough guys”. He is known for roles in Fast and Furious (as Hobbs), Hercules, G.I. Joe: Retaliation (as Roadblock), and the Scorpion King. In his current role, he plays the part of a rescue chopper pilot.
- Carla Gugino: Well known for roles in Night at the Museum, Watchmen, Sin City, and Spy Kids. She plays the role of Dwayne Johnson’s asking-for-a-divorce-wife.
- Alexandra Daddario: Maybe not a household name yet but give her time. You may have seen her in Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson: The Sea of Monsters, Texas Chainsaw 3D, and various tv shows. She plays the part of Dwayne and Carla’s daughter.
- Paul Giamatti: This guy always delivers a great performance. He, no doubt, was excellent in Saving Private Ryan, The Illusionist, Man on the Moon, Lady in the Water, and various others. In San Andreas, he plays a seismologist who just discovered a way to predict earthquakes.
- Ioan Gruffudd: While he has a relatively small part in San Andreas, you have no doubt seen him in either of the old Fantastic 4 movies, Titanic, King Arthur, and most recently the tv show, Forever.
- Archie Panjabi: She is mostly known for her part on the hit tv show, The Good Wife. She is currently playing a reporter in this movie.
My Comments About San Andreas:
I personally really enjoyed the film and will eventually own it on Blu-ray (a measure of movie greatness at my house)!!
- Story: The story wasn’t complex so even the laziest of viewers could keep up. It wasn’t anything too unexpected but I did enjoy it due to the Dwayne Johnson’s role as a rescue chopper pilot (it really served to do/see some of the more visually interesting sequences in the film). Sure there are a couple of “over-the-top” moments written in but, come on, it’s a summer movie!!!
- Dialogue: The dialogue was okay, despite cutting back on the classic one-liners that the Rock is typically known for.
- Special Effects: Obviously, the special effects (both practical and computer generated) were incredible, as they should be in any disaster movie.
- Action: It was there and done pretty well. Some scenes kept you “on edge” and others were more relaxed. All in all, the movie was exciting and never boring… a sign of a great summer blockbuster.
- Score, Music, Sound: No complaints at all. I particularly liked the score.
That’s a Wrap:
All in all, I had a great time watching this movie. It might not get any Oscar nominations (maybe one for Special Effects) but it definitely gets my vote for what I call a great summer movie. So for anyone who just wants to go to the movies, get some popcorn, and be entertained, then San Andreas is a movie that should be on your agenda.
Well, I hate to run but I have to cut this review short. Check back next week for a review of Jurassic World. The summer movies are here! Now go enjoy the movies!
Thanks for reading! – JDM